Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Quick Mothers Day Gift

Mother’s Day Mini Album

Mother’s Day is right around the corner! Have you thought about what you will get the mothers in your life? This time of year, I start to panic! My mom and I are very close and I know what she likes, but I always want my gift to be meaningful. Now that I have my own kids, I also want them to be a part of her gift. This year, I came up with a quick mini album to showcase her family.

I chose to use Tea For Two Designer Series Paper as my inspiration. I love this paper and its vintage feel. It was a perfect choice!

I started with Crumb Cake Cardstock and created a simple accordion binding. I added Crumb Cake pieces for the covers, as well. To decorate the cover, I used two different pieces of Tea for Two. I created embellishments using the Honeycomb Embossing Folder. To cut these out, I recommend embossing your cardstock using a shim over the top cutting pad. This squishes the cardstock almost enough to punch them all the way through! I clean them up around the edges with my Paper Snips, and voilà! Tiny little hexagons!

For the title I stamped “Mother” (from the Amazing Family Stamp Set) in VersaMark ink and embossed it using Pool Party Stampin’ Emboss Powder. Then I layered it over a few flags on top of a label image (from the Everything Eleanor Stamp Set) stamped in Calypso Coral ink. It’s finished off with a flower created using my favorite Natural 7/8" Cotton Ribbon.

Inside the album are what I call “pocket pages.” The pockets are created by simply folding pieces of Crumb Cake Cardstock in half and adhering them within the accordion binding. I covered each of them with more Tea for Two Designer Series paper.

I kept each page very simple. I could easily get carried away and take days and days to embellish. But, this paper speaks for itself. I really didn’t want to take away from its cute pattern.

To create the opening of each pocket, I laid an Oval Framelit Die over just half of the edge and ran it through the Big Shot. The pocket is so thick, now, that it only cut through the top two layers! Exactly what I needed!
The flaps open up to hold picture inserts. I punched 1/2" circles in each flap to accommodate the buttons on the inserts.

I printed my pictures in sepia so I didn’t have to worry about clashing colors. I also printed them in a smaller size so that I didn’t have to crop them.

There are enough pockets for each of my mom’s grandkids.


To involve my kids, I had each of them write her a little note on the back of their respective insert. I also think these would be great gift card holders! Maybe the last pocket could be reserved for that!

When you’re in a pinch and need a gift, look at your stash! What can you make? This gift cost me only the paper I had on hand. Most people would be so touched to see something handmade and from the heart. I know I would! I hope my mom does, too!
Now get busy and show your mom how much you care!
Happy Mother’s Day!
Erica Cerwin,
2012–2013 Artisan Design Team

No comments:

Post a Comment