Thursday, May 23, 2013

Less IS More!

Another amazing post from the STAMPIN UP! BLOG


LESS IS MORE

I’ve been a paper crafter now for over 15 years but I still struggle with calling myself “creative.” I grew up with (immensely) creatively gifted siblings and artistically I always felt a bit inadequate. Nowadays, I work around some of the most talented people I’ve ever known, which added to the intimidation factor. So when it came time for me to put together this blog post, I procrastinated . . . a lot.

Finally, some friends here at the home office said: “Just do what it is you do!” They were referring to my “Jill cards.” That is the name that has been given to my own creations. I like simple and classic. From a standard PB & J, to my 9-year-old VW Beetle, to my long, straight hair, I’m a firm believer that less can be more. So I make really simple cards. From the time I was in grade school, I was always a card writer, and I always loved the look of a simple card with a heartfelt, handwritten greeting. And since I’m low on cards, for this blog post I decided to make some new ones.

I had quite a bit of Crumb Cake and Very Vanilla Cardstock on hand that I wanted to use, so here’s what I came up with:

I absolutely love the terrific art on our stamps and love to see it stand on its own. So for the first card, I just stamped the elephant image from the You’re Amazing Stamp Set in black StāzOn ink in the lower right hand corner of a piece of Very Vanilla Cardstock. From there, I colored his hat using Tangerine Tango, Pear Pizzazz, and Pretty in Pink Stampin’ Write Markers. Then I stamped “Happy birthday” from the Teeny, Tiny Wishes Stamp Set next to the elephant and simply adhered the Very Vanilla front to a Crumb Cake card. Simple. Classic. Done.



For the next one, I stayed with the elephant, only this time I just stamped him, colored his hat, cut him out, and popped him off the card using Stampin’ Dimensionals. Then I stamped “Happy birthday” under him. Again, really simple but visually appealing. And NOT intimidating. I love that part!



On the third card, I used the cupcake image from the Easy Events Stamp Set. I colored it with Baja Breeze, Cherry Cobbler, and Summer Starfruit Stampin’ Write Markers and used a Blender Pen to lighten the Cherry Cobbler ink. I brightened up the image with a 2-Way Glue Pen and some Dazzling Diamonds Stampin’ Glitter, then cut it out, popped it up off the card again with Stampin’ Dimensionals, and stamped the card front with the “Happy birthday” sentiment.


Next, I moved on to other sentiments besides birthday. I did a simple “Thinking of you” card with the flower from the Fabulous Florets Stamp Set, Raspberry Ripple ink, and a Rhinestone Basic Jewel.




And finally, I made two cards using the From My Heart Stamp Set—which happens to be one of my favorites.

For the Thank You card, I used the Owl Punch for the Rose Red Cardstock heart and added two small Rhinestones Basic Jewels.



For the Secret of Life card, I stamped the image once on the Very Vanilla card front and again on Baja Breeze Cardstock; then, using Paper Snips, I cut out the word “Enjoying” and adhered it to the original image. I finished this one off with Rhinestone Basic Jewels, as well. Nothing like a little bling to finish off a simple card!



Just remember: with making and sending a card, an appealing image and a sincere, personal sentiment are all you need. Less really can be more!

Jill L.
Demonstrator Support

No comments:

Post a Comment