Monday, May 20, 2013

Make your own stencil technique

MDS Hybrid: Create Your Own Stencils

I love making hybrid projects of all types using My Digital Studio. Besides making awesome digital projects with the software and digital goodies, you can also use the punch shapes and other SVG files with an electronic cutter for all kinds of additional fun.
Today I wanted to share how to make your own reusable mask for your paper craft projects. I started with the 1-1/4" Circle Punch, copied it several times, and adjusted the sizes in My Digital Studio. I moved them around randomly in an 8" x 8"-sized project. At this point, it looks somewhat like Swiss cheese . . . but I promise, it’s more useful than that!

I exported the image in SVG format. Then I cut an 8" x 8" piece from a Window Sheet and ran that through my electronic cutter to cut the pattern above. Voilà . . . I had a reusable mask waiting to be used on paper projects.

Next, I cut some pieces of Naturals White Cardstock to 5" x 5" and tested several different techniques with the mask. First, I sponged on a heavy layer of ink. Second, I sponged and tapped a lighter layer of ink and outlined the circles with a Stampin’ Write Marker. Third, I spritzed the circles using first the Stampin' Spritzer with a mix of Classic Stampin’ Ink Refill and rubbing alcohol, and then the Color Spritzer Tool with a Stampin’ Write Marker in the same color. Fourth, I used an Aqua Painter to watercolor using Classic Stampin’ Ink Refill in the circles. The first three techniques are pictured below.

Here are the end results! To complete my projects I used Summer Smooches Designer Series Paper, the Carry On Clear-Mount Stamp Set, and the Designer Buttons Brights Collection. These items are all on the retirement list, so hurry and get them while you can!

I also used the 1-3/4" Circle Punch, the 1" Circle Punch, and the 1-1/4" Scallop Circle Punch.

The colors I used were Daffodil Delight, Tangerine Tango, Island Indigo, Lucky Limeade, and Rich Razzleberry.

You can see a close-up of the two splattering techniques here.

The largest button has White Baker’s Twine added, and the greeting, small stamped image, and small buttons were popped up using Stampin’ Dimensionals. The greeting is stamped with Jet Black StāzOn ink.

Here is a close-up of the watercolor technique. The edges aren’t crisp with this technique, but it works well for watercolor.

So, I hope you enjoy thinking about what other awesome hybrid projects you can make using My Digital Studio and the rest of Stampin’ Up!’s coordinating products. Have fun creating!
Marisa Gunn
2012-2013 Artisan Design Team

No comments:

Post a Comment